Fenofibrate, Micronized Oral capsule
What is this medicine?
FENOFIBRATE (fen oh FYE brate) can help lower blood fats and cholesterol for people who are at risk of getting inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) from having very high amounts of fats in their blood. This medicine is only for patients whose blood fats are not controlled by diet.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine may be taken with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. Read More ›
Antara can be used to treat the following conditions:
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
lower back or side pain
muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
unusually weak or tired
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
statin-type cholesterol lowering drugs like atorvastatin, cerivastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin, or simvastatin
red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
cholestyramine or colestipol
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Your blood fat levels and other tests will be measured from time to time. Do not stop taking this medicine except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
This medicine is only part of a total cholesterol-lowering program. Your health care professional or dietician can suggest a low-cholesterol and low-fat diet that will reduce your risk of getting heart and blood vessel disease. Avoid alcohol and smoking, and keep a proper exercise schedule.
If you are diabetic, close regulation and monitoring of your blood sugars can help your blood fat levels. This medicine may change the way your diabetic medicine works, and sometimes will require that your dosages be adjusted. Check with your doctor or health care professional.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Who should not take Antara?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
anticoagulant therapy, biliary cirrhosis, breast-feeding, cardiac disease, children, cholelithiasis, dialysis, gallbladder disease, geriatric, hepatic disease, infants, neonates, pregnancy, renal disease, renal failure, renal impairment, thromboembolic disease
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
- When children show signs of an eating disorder
- 7 proven treatments for arthritis pain
- Why women can't sleep
- What pain meds are OK if you're on prednisone?
- Teenage depression: What you need to know
- Top forms of birth control
- Is medication causing your weight gain?
- The 90-day guide to getting pregnant
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails