Atorvastatin Calcium Oral tablet
What is this medicine?
ATORVASTATIN (a TORE va sta tin) is known as a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor or 'statin'. It lowers the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. This drug may also reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, or other health problems in patients with risk factors for heart disease. Diet and lifestyle changes are often used with this drug.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take this medicine with or without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Read More ›
Lipitor can be used to treat the following conditions:
- myocardial infarction prophylaxis
- stroke prophylaxis
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 10 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
muscle cramps, pain
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
unusually weak or tired
yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
stomach gas, pain, upset
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
medicines for fungal infections like itraconazole, voriconazole
other medicines for high cholesterol
red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
birth control pills
certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, troleandomycin
medicines for treating HIV infection
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 to 25 degrees C (68 to 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
frequently drink alcoholic beverages
history of stroke, TIA
muscle aches or weakness
other medical condition
an unusual or allergic reaction to atorvastatin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check-ups. You may need regular tests to make sure your liver is working properly.
Tell your doctor or health care professional right away if you get any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever and tiredness.
This drug is only part of a total heart-health program. Your doctor or a dietician can suggest a low-cholesterol and low-fat diet to help. Avoid alcohol and smoking, and keep a proper exercise schedule.
Do not use this drug if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Serious side effects to an unborn child or to an infant are possible. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
If you are going to have surgery tell your health care professional that you are taking this drug.
Who should not take Lipitor?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
alcoholism, breast-feeding, children, cholestasis, electrolyte imbalance, endocrine disease, geriatric, hepatic disease, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatitis, hypertension, hypotension, infection, jaundice, myopathy, organ transplant, pregnancy, renal disease, renal failure, renal impairment, rhabdomyolysis, seizure disorder, sepsis, stroke, surgery, trauma
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails