Lice Treatment Shampoo, Lice Treatment Topical gel
What is this medicine?
PYRETHINS; PIPERONYL BUTOXIDE is used to treat lice. It acts by destroying the lice, but it does not destroy their eggs (nits). This medicine may be used to treat head lice, body lice, or pubic lice.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the package label. Use this medicine in a well ventilated area. Shake well before use. Apply to dry hair. Keep this medicine away from your eyes, mouth, nose, and vaginal opening. Apply to affected area until all the hair is thoroughly wet with product. Keep this medicine on your hair or affected area for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add warm water then rub into a lather. Rinse and dry with a clean towel. Use a nit comb to remove any of the remaining lice or nits. A second treatment must be done in 7 to 10 days to kill any newly hatched lice. Read More ›
Pronto can be used to treat the following conditions:
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
skin burning, irritation
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
dry, itchy, red skin
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide, other medicines, foods, dyes, ragweed, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Lice infections can cause itching and irritation. This medicine may cause more itching for a short time after use. This does not mean that the medicine did not work.
Lice can be spread from one person to another by direct contact with clothing, hats, scarves, bedding, towels, washcloths, hairbrushes, and combs. All members of the house should be checked for lice. Treat everyone who is infected. For cases of pubic lice, sexual partners should be treated at the same time to prevent reinfection.
To prevent reinfection or spreading of the infection, the following steps should be taken: Machine wash all clothing, bedding, towels, and washcloths in very hot water and dry them using the hot cycle of a dryer for at least 20 minutes. Clothing or bedding that cannot be washed should be dry cleaned or sealed in an airtight plastic bag for 4 weeks. Shampoo any wigs or hairpieces. You should also wash all hairbrushes and combs in very hot soapy water (above 130 F) for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not share your hairbrushes or combs with other people. Wash all toys in very hot water (above 130 F) for 5 to 10 minutes or seal in an airtight plastic bag for 4 weeks. Also, clean the house or room by vacuuming furniture, rugs, and floors.
Who should not take Pronto?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
asthma, breast-feeding, children, infants, neonates, ocular exposure, pregnancy
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
- When children show signs of an eating disorder
- 7 proven treatments for arthritis pain
- Why women can't sleep
- What pain meds are OK if you're on prednisone?
- Teenage depression: What you need to know
- Top forms of birth control
- Is medication causing your weight gain?
- The 90-day guide to getting pregnant
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails