Zanamivir Inhalation powder
What is this medicine?
ZANAMIVIR (za NA mi veer) is an antiviral medicine. It is used to prevent and treat flu infections caused by influenza A or B virus. It will not work for colds, other types of flu, or other viral infections.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is inhaled through the mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not use a spacer device with this inhaler. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. Make sure that you are using your inhaler correctly. Ask you doctor or health care provider if you have any questions. Read More ›
Relenza can be used to treat the following conditions:
- H1N1 influenza A (swine influenza) prophylaxis
- H1N1 influenza A virus (swine influenza) infection
- seasonal influenza A virus infection
- seasonal influenza B virus infection
- seasonal influenza prophylaxis
If you are also using a bronchodilator inhaler, like albuterol, use that inhaler first. Wait 5 minutes or more before using this medicine.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 5 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
fast, irregular heart beat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
other ear, nose, or throat infection
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
live attenuated influenza vaccine
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not puncture any of the foil blisters until you are ready to take that dose. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
live in nursing home
lung or breathing disease, like asthma
serious medical condition
an unusual or allergic reaction to zanamivir, milk proteins, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
If you have asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema you may be at a higher risk for having breathing problems while you are taking this medicine. Make sure to have a fast acting inhaler to treat breathing problems. If your symptoms get worse or if you need your short acting inhalers more often, call your doctor right away.
If you have the flu, you may be at an increased risk of developing seizures, confusion, or abnormal behavior. This occurs early in the illness, and more frequently in children and teens. These events are not common, but may result in accidental injury to the patient. Families and caregivers of patients should watch for signs of unusual behavior and contact a doctor or health care professional right away if the patient shows signs of unusual behavior.
To treat the flu, start taking this medicine within 2 days of getting flu symptoms.
This medicine is not a substitute for an annual flu vaccine.
Who should not take Relenza?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
administration via nebulizer, angioedema, asthma, breast-feeding, bronchitis, cardiac disease, children, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, geriatric, pregnancy, pulmonary disease, renal failure, renal impairment, Reye's syndrome, vaccination, viral infection
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails