Vitamin D Oral capsule
What is this medicine?
ERGOCALCIFEROL is a man made form of vitamin D. It helps your body keep the right amount of calcium and phosphorus for healthy bones and teeth.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Read More ›
Vitamin D Oral capsule, liquid filled can be used to treat the following conditions:
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
increased urination (especially at night)
irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure
unexpected weight loss
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
loss of appetite
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines for cholesterol like colestipol or cholestyramine
medicines to treat seizures or nerve pain
some over-the-counter supplements
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
other chronic disease
an unusual or allergic reaction to vitamin D, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress.
Do not take any non-prescription medicines that have vitamin D, phosphorus, magnesium, or calcium including antacids while taking this medicine, unless your doctor or health care professional says you can. The extra supplements can cause side effects.
Who should not take Vitamin D Oral capsule, liquid filled?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
biliary tract disease, breast-feeding, cardiac disease, gallbladder disease, geriatric, hepatic disease, hypercalcemia, hyperphosphatemia, hypervitaminosis D, hypoparathyroidism, malabsorption syndrome, nephrolithiasis, pregnancy, renal disease, renal failure, sarcoidosis
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails