Voriconazole Oral tablet
What is this medicine?
VORICONAZOLE (vohr ih KON uh zohl) is an antifungal. It stops the growth of some fungus and yeast. This medicine is used to treat many kinds of fungal infections.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or one hour after a meal. Do not take with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early. Read More ›
VFEND can be used to treat the following conditions:
- esophageal candidiasis
- febrile neutropenia
- fungal keratitis
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash or itching, hives, swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue, or throat
change in vision
fast heart rate
fever, chills, infection
less or more urine
pale colored stools
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
unusual bruising or bleeding
yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
barbiturates, like phenobarbital
red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
medicines for cholesterol like cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
medicines for diabetes
medicines for erectile dysfunction
medicines for heart disease like diltiazem, nicardipine
medicines for HIV
medicines for sleep
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
hereditary problems of galactose or other sugar intolerance
history of irregular heartbeat
an unusual or allergic reaction to voriconazole, other antifungal medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checkups. If you are taking this medicine for a long time you may need blood work. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve. Some fungal infections need many weeks or months of treatment to cure.
You may have changes in vision, including blurring and/or light sensitivity. Do not drive at night while taking this medicine. If you notice a change in vision avoid potentially hazardous tasks, such as driving or operating machinery. Avoid strong, direct sunlight during this therapy.
Women should inform their doctor if they wish to become pregnant or think they might be pregnant. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child. Talk to your health care professional or pharmacist for more information.
Who should not take VFEND?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
Asian patients, Black patients, breast-feeding, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, Caucasian patients, chemotherapy, children, cholestasis, hepatic disease, hepatitis, hypokalemia, infants, jaundice, lactase deficiency, melanoma, neonates, ocular disease, pancreatitis, pregnancy, QT prolongation, renal disease, renal failure, renal impairment, sunlight (UV) exposure, torsade de pointes, ventricular arrhythmias
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails