Vitamin A (Fish Liver Oils), Vitamin D (Fish Liver Oils) Oral solution
What is this medicine?
COD LIVER OIL (kod LIV er oil) is a dietary supplement. It contains omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, and vitamin D. Some products may have other nutrients. This product is not approved by the FDA for any medical uses. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the product label or talk to your health care provider. You can take it with or without food. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Do not take more than the recommended amount. Read More ›
Vitamin A (Fish Liver Oils), Vitamin D (Fish Liver Oils) Oral solution can be used to treat the following conditions:
- nutritional supplementation
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
changes in vision
-unusual bleeding or bruising
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
additional vitamin A or vitamin D
medicines for kidney disease or promoting bone health, like calcitriol or doxercalciferol
medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature. Follow the product label. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
high blood pressure
if you frequently drink alcohol containing drinks
an unusual or allergic reaction to cod liver oil, fish, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
See your doctor regularly. Tell all of your healthcare providers that you are taking this supplement.
Who should not take Vitamin A (Fish Liver Oils), Vitamin D (Fish Liver Oils) Oral solution?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
alcoholism, anticoagulant therapy, asthma, biliary tract disease, bipolar disorder, bleeding, breast-feeding, cardiac disease, children, dental work, diabetes mellitus, gallbladder disease, hepatic disease, hepatitis, hypercalcemia, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, hyperphosphatemia, hypertension, hypervitaminosis A, hypervitaminosis D, infants, inflammatory bowel disease, malabsorption syndrome, migraine, myocardial infarction, nephrolithiasis, obesity, pregnancy, pulmonary disease, renal disease, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis, schizophrenia, surgery, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), thrombolytic therapy
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails