Vorinostat Oral capsule
What is this medicine?
VORINOSTAT (vor IN oh stat) is a chemotherapy drug. It is used to treat cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL).
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Do not chew, crush, or open the capsules. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. Read More ›
Zolinza can be used to treat the following conditions:
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
change in the amount of urine
fast, irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
fever or chills, sore throat
increased hunger or thirst
pain, swelling, warmth in the leg
problems with balance, talking, walking
swelling of feet, legs
unusual bleeding or bruising
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
changes in taste
loss of appetite
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines for irregular heart beat
medicines for nausea/vomiting like dolasetron, ondansetron, palonosetron
medicines for numbness or sleep during surgery
medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like enoxaparin, heparin, ticlodipine, warfarin
other cancer treatments like dasatinib, lapatinib
some antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, levofloxacin, mefloquine
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
diabetes history of blood clots history of irregular heartbeat liver disease take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots an unusual or allergic reaction to vorinostat, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives pregnant or trying to get pregnant breast-feeding
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor for regular check ups. Report any side effects. You will need blood work done while you are taking this medicine.
Talk to your doctor about how many glasses of water to drink each day. It is important to drink plenty of fluids and to avoid dehydration.
If the capsules of this medicine is broken or opened, do not touch the capsules or the powder contents of the capsules. If the powder gets on your skin or in your eyes, wash the area well with plenty of water. Call your doctor.
Do not become pregnant while taking this medicine. Women should inform their doctor if they wish to become pregnant or think they might be pregnant. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child. Talk to your health care professional or pharmacist for more information. Do not breast-feed an infant while taking this medicine.
Who should not take Zolinza?
Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
accidental exposure, anemia, anticoagulant therapy, breast-feeding, children, dehydration, dental disease, dental work, diabetes mellitus, diarrhea, electrolyte imbalance, GI bleeding, hepatic disease, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, infants, intramuscular injections, neonates, ocular exposure, pregnancy, QT prolongation, thrombocytopenia, thromboembolic disease, torsade de pointes, vomiting
Copyright: © 2000-2010 The StayWell Company, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.
Take the first step toward Better Medicine.
- Be a Savvy Medical Consumer
- Be an Active Patient
- Communicate with Your Health Care Provider
- Control Surgical Costs
- Control Your Medical Costs
- Cut Your Hospital Bills
- Evaluate Your Health Care Providers
- Find Dr. Right
- Get Optimal Medical Care
- Get the Health Care You Need
- Hold Down Specialist Costs
- Make Better Treatment Decisions
- Plan for Long-Term Care
- Prepare for Scheduled or Elective Surgery
- Take Part in Every Medical Decision
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
Comprehensive Coverage | Hundreds of Topics
- Migraines | Memory | Brain and Nerves
- Raynaud's | Trigs | Heart, Blood and Circulation
- Carnival Risks | BBQ Safety | Injuries and Wounds
- Spring Rx | Food Allergies | Asthma | Immune System
- Science | Survivors | News | Risk | Cancer
- Bacterial | Viral | Infections and Contagious Diseases
- Crohn's | Ab Swelling | GERD | Digestive System
- RA | Soft Tissue | Pain | Bones, Joints and Muscles
- Hearing | Allergies | Ear, Nose and Throat
- View More ›
- Menopause, Maybe | Female Reproductive System
- Type 2 Tips | Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- Cataracts | Eye Symptoms | Eyes and Vision
- Organic or Not? | Food, Nutrition and Diet
- Bad Genes | Genetics and Birth Defects
- Bladder Bothers | Kidneys and the Urinary System
- Nocturnal Asthma | Lungs and Breathing
- Sperm Health | Male Reproductive System
- Schizophrenia Meds | Mental Health and Behavior
- Metabolism Myths | Metabolic System
- Whitening 411 | Mouth, Teeth and Oral Health
- Wild Mushrooms | Poisoning and Environmental Health
- Making Love Last | Sexual Health
- Radiance | Rash | Cancer | Skin, Hair and Nails