Health Tip: A Dirty Sponge Spreads Germs
(HealthDay News) -- You use your sponge to clean your kitchen, but do you clean your sponge? Without careful cleaning, a sponge can soak up bacteria and spread it around.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Don't reuse a sponge that has an odor, as it probably harbors bacteria.
- Never reuse a worn sponge.
- Clean a dirty sponge by running it through the hot cycle of your washing machine or soaking it with water and microwaving it at a high temperature for about two minutes. Never microwave a dry sponge, which could start a fire.
- If your sponge was used to clean up after raw meat, throw it out or clean it in a diluted bleach solution (1 tablespoon of bleach added to 1 gallon of water).
- Dish towels can harbor bacteria too. Frequently wash them in the hot cycle of your washing machine.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Popular Food, Nutrition and Diet Slide Shows
Top Features in Food, Nutrition and Diet
Foodie? Nutrition Wizard? Take a Quiz!
- Atopic Dermatitis Quiz
- Fats in Foods Quiz
- Blood Pressure Quiz
- Botulism Quiz
- Calcium Quiz
- Childhood Health Quiz
- Cholesterol Quiz
- Dietary Fiber Quiz
- Digestive System Quiz
- Trans Fat Facts and Fiction
- Food Quiz
- Food Safety Quiz
- Heart Disease Prevention Quiz
- Nutrition and Cancer Quiz
- Dietary Guidelines Quiz
- Organic Foods Quiz
- Healthy Pregnancy Quiz
- Dietary Supplement Quiz
- What Do You Know About Holiday Sweets and Treats?
- Vitamins Quiz
- Drinking Water Quiz
- Obesity Basics: What Is It? How Is it Treated?
- Diabetes: Test Your Knowledge
- Miracle Diet Quiz
- Herb and Spice Quiz
Health News TodayFeed
- Health Tip: Watch Portion Sizes While Traveling05/25/2015
- Fish Oil Tied to Better Brain Function in Older Adults05/22/2015
- Raw Tuna Suspected as Source of Salmonella Outbreak: CDC05/22/2015
- Diet and Exercise May Not Stave Off Age-Related Muscle Loss05/22/2015
- Coffee May Help Men Keep Impotence at Bay05/21/2015
- View More Food, Nutrition and Diet News