Health Tip: Calming a Fussy Baby
(HealthDay News) -- A soothing routine can help calm your fussy baby and give you some peace.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Swaddle the infant using a large, lightweight blanket.
- Snuggle your baby either lying on her left side (helps digestion) or on her belly.
- Play soothing sounds, such as a white-noise machine.
- Walk around while holding your baby, or rock her gently.
- Avoid feeding your baby too much, which can make her tummy hurt. Let her suck on a pacifier if it's not time to eat.
- If you suspect a food sensitivity and you breastfeed, try changing your diet. If you bottle feed, changing formulas may help. Discuss this with your pediatrician.
- Track your baby's daily schedule of feedings, nap times, wake times and fussy times. Restrict each daytime nap to a maximum of three hours.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Popular Food, Nutrition and Diet Slide Shows
Top Features in Food, Nutrition and Diet
Foodie? Nutrition Wizard? Take a Quiz!
- Atopic Dermatitis Quiz
- Fats in Foods Quiz
- Blood Pressure Quiz
- Botulism Quiz
- Calcium Quiz
- Childhood Health Quiz
- Cholesterol Quiz
- Dietary Fiber Quiz
- Digestive System Quiz
- Trans Fat Facts and Fiction
- Food Quiz
- Food Safety Quiz
- Heart Disease Prevention Quiz
- Nutrition and Cancer Quiz
- Dietary Guidelines Quiz
- Organic Foods Quiz
- Healthy Pregnancy Quiz
- Dietary Supplement Quiz
- What Do You Know About Holiday Sweets and Treats?
- Vitamins Quiz
- Drinking Water Quiz
- Obesity Basics: What Is It? How Is it Treated?
- Diabetes: Test Your Knowledge
- Miracle Diet Quiz
- Herb and Spice Quiz
Health News TodayFeed
- Study: Healthy Lifestyle Behaviors May Prevent 80 Percent of Heart Attacks09/22/2014
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns09/22/2014
- Health Tip: Don't Fall for Food Safety Myths09/22/2014
- College Women Can Use Food Strategies, Study Finds09/21/2014
- More Schools Stocking Shots That Counter Serious Allergic Reactions09/19/2014
- View More Food, Nutrition and Diet News