Health Tip: Prevent Produce Problems
(HealthDay News) -- Produce can harbor germs that can make you sick, so it's important to prepare these foods properly.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Just before you eat them, wash all vegetables and fruits with cool tap water.
- Scrub firm produce (such as melons) with a produce brush. Rinse softer produce with plain water.
- Throw away the outer leaves of a head of lettuce.
- If you see any damaged or bruised spots on your produce, cut them out and discard.
- Use a paper towel or clean dish towel to dry produce.
- Cook any raw sprouts before eating.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News TodayFeed
- Swallowing Magnets Can Be Fatal for Children 05/20/2013
- Good Diet Helps People Manage Celiac Disease 05/10/2013
- Bacteria in Baby's Belly May Influence Growth, Study Says 05/09/2013
- Could Adaptable Bacteria Cause Repeat Urinary Tract Infections? 05/08/2013
- Flu Vaccine Safe for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis: Study 05/06/2013
- View More Digestive System News
Take a Personalized Health Test
What's Causing Your Symptoms?
15 Ways To Get Better Medicine
People who are actively involved in their medical care stay healthier, recover quicker when they're ill, and live longer, healthier lives.