Health Tip: Prevent Produce Problems
(HealthDay News) -- Produce can harbor germs that can make you sick, so it's important to prepare these foods properly.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Just before you eat them, wash all vegetables and fruits with cool tap water.
- Scrub firm produce (such as melons) with a produce brush. Rinse softer produce with plain water.
- Throw away the outer leaves of a head of lettuce.
- If you see any damaged or bruised spots on your produce, cut them out and discard.
- Use a paper towel or clean dish towel to dry produce.
- Cook any raw sprouts before eating.
-- Diana Kohnle
Top Features in Digestive Health
Popular Digestive Health Slide Shows
Did You Know?View Source
Digestive System Quizzes
Health News TodayFeed
- Artificial Sweeteners May Raise Blood Sugar Levels: Study09/17/2014
- Health Tip: Avoiding Salmonella From Your Pet09/17/2014
- Action-Packed TV a Threat to Your Waistline?09/02/2014
- Scientists Spot Genetic Clues to Crohn's Disease08/27/2014
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Foodborne Illness08/26/2014
- View More Digestive System News