Indoor Air Can Cause Health Problems

By Beans, Bruce E.

Are you worried about the air you breathe? Don't assume you're safe just because you're inside. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that the air within homes and other buildings can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air in even the largest and most industrialized cities.

Indoor air pollution can have significant health problems. People who may be exposed to indoor air pollutants for the longest periods of time -- children, elderly adults and people with chronic illnesses -- are often those most susceptible to the effects of indoor air pollution.

Most indoor air pollution comes from sources that release gases or particles into the air. Sources such as building materials and air fresheners release pollution continuously. Other sources such as tobacco smoke and wood-burning stoves are related to activities. Although some indoor air pollutants have been around for years, they often were diluted by outdoor air seeping into the home. Today's more energy-efficient homes don't allow as much outdoor air to enter.

Indoor air hazards

Ozone generators are sold as air cleaners and intentionally produce ozone gas. High concentrations of ozone, however, react with organic material inside and outside the body. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs, cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. It can make chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma worse and make people more susceptible to respiratory infections.

The EPA says that scientific research does not support claims that ozone from these devices removes dust, pollen and chemicals from the air. No federal agency has approved these devices as air cleaners. Any official number found on ozone generator packaging is not an approval number, but the designation used by the EPA to identify the specific facility that produces the product.

Other common sources of indoor pollution include:

Live sources

These include mold, mildew, cockroaches, and dust mites.

Carbon monoxide (CO)

CO and other pollutants are emitted from fuel-burning stoves, heaters, and other appliances. CO is an odorless, colorless gas that blocks the movement of oxygen in the body. Depending on how much is inhaled, CO can affect coordination, make heart conditions worse, and cause fatigue, headache, confusion, nausea and dizziness. Very high levels can cause death. Elderly adults, developing babies, and people with cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases are particularly sensitive to elevated CO levels.

Nitrogen dioxide

This is a product of natural gas and kerosene combustion. Like CO, it is odorless and colorless. It irritates the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and throat and causes shortness of breath in high concentrations. Long-term exposure to nitrogen dioxide can damage the lungs and may lead to chronic bronchitis. Exposure to low levels may cause an increase of symptoms in people who have asthma, a decrease in lung function in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and an increase in respiratory infections.

Sulfur dioxide

This gas is a product of burning kerosene in a space heater. It is extremely irritating to the eyes and upper respiratory tract.


Radon is a radioactive gas that seeps from the soil and rocks beneath your home. Radon can enter a home through cracks in the foundation, walls, drains and other openings. Exposure to radon in the home is the second leading cause of lung cancer; smoking is the first. Smokers and former smokers exposed to radon may have a much higher risk of death from lung cancer.

Secondhand smoke

Cigarette smoke contains trace amounts of about 4,000 chemicals, including 200 known poisons, such as formaldehyde and carbon monoxide, as well as 43 carcinogens.

These are other common household air pollutants:

  • Particulates, such as dust and pollen.

  • Formaldehyde, a common preservative and adhesive in furniture, carpets, drapes, particleboard, and plywood paneling. Breathing formaldehyde fumes can cause coughing, irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, rashes, headaches, and dizziness.

  • Household products, including personal care products, pesticides, household cleaners, solvents and chemicals used for hobbies. Exposure to these products can cause dizziness, nausea, allergic reactions, irritation of eyes, skin and lungs, and cancer. Certain cleaning products can produce toxic fumes; take care never to mix chlorine bleach and ammonia.

  • Remodeling hazards, including new carpeting and paint. These can emit fumes that irritate eyes, nose, and throat.

  • Asbestos, from insulation, floor tiles, spackling compounds, cement, and heating equipment. These products can be a problem indoors only if the material that contains the asbestos is disturbed and becomes airborne, or when the product disintegrates with age. Asbestos fibers are light, flexible and small enough to remain airborne. Because of this, fibers can be inhaled, causing scarring of lung tissue (called asbestosis) and lung cancer.

  • Lead, which was common in paint made before 1978.

  • Pesticides. Exposure to these can occur through normal use of sprays, strips impregnated with pesticides, and foggers (also called "bombs"). Exposure can also occur from contaminated dusts after use, especially for children who may be in close contact with contaminated surfaces. Symptoms can include headache, dizziness, muscular weakness, and nausea. Some pesticide may cause cancer.

We'd like your feedback.

Are you a cancer patient, cancer survivor or a caregiver for a cancer patient? Please complete a very brief survey to improve patient care.

Thank you!

A survey will be presented to you after you finish viewing our Lung Cancer content.

Take a Personalized Health Test

Did You Know?

View Source

Which of the following is not a common symptom of lung cancer?